New City is a part of the Evangelical Covenant Church (ECC) denomination. The ECC is a vibrant and growing denomination that in recent years has placed important emphasis on matters of social justice, multi-ethnic congregations, and urban ministry. While many churches lament their denominational liaison, we at New City love ours. Being a part of the ECC is like being a part of a larger family that shares our passions and vision for God’s work in the world. Here is a little more information about the Covenant church, and you can also read more about them on their website.
From their website:
What Is the Covenant Church?
The Evangelical Covenant Church (ECC) is a rapidly growing multiethnic denomination in the United States and Canada with ministries on five continents of the world. Founded in 1885 by Swedish immigrants, the ECC values the Bible as the word of God, the gift of God’s grace and ever-deepening spiritual life that comes through a faith with Jesus Christ, the importance of extending God’s love and compassion to a hurting world, and the strength the comes from unity within diversity.
* Evangelical, but not exclusive
* Biblical, but not doctrinaire
* Traditional, but not rigid
* Congregational, but not independent
The Evangelical Covenant Church seeks to form and nurture communities that are deeply committed to Jesus Christ and passionately engaged in Christ’s mission in the world. The purpose of Covenant affirmations is to make clear the values and principles that have guided the Evangelical Covenant Church since its founding in 1885.
For Covenant people, our essential beliefs are summed up in what we call Covenant affirmations:
* We affirm the centrality of the word of God.
* We affirm the necessity of the new birth.
* We affirm a commitment to the whole mission of the Church.
* We affirm the Church as a fellowship of believers.
* We affirm a conscious dependence on the Holy Spirit.
* We affirm the reality of freedom in Christ.